Work With Us
The full time aquarist position is part of the Animal Husbandry team that performs the routine animal care and maintenance required all exhibits and life support systems. The Aquarist is required to be capable of delivering a high standard of work performance in the areas of animal and exhibit husbandry under the direction of the Curator of Live Exhibits. Jelly husbandry, nutrition, and propagation experience and knowledge is preferred.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Maintains husbandry areas, exhibits, and aquarium life support systems ensuring a consistently high standard of animal care and displays presentation throughout all public and behind the scenes areas.
* Performs routine animal care, cleaning and maintenance of aquarium exhibits including SCUBA diving within exhibits where required.
* Provides daily care of animal exhibits including diet preparation, feeding and general care and maintenance of aquatic exhibits in accordance with established protocols.
* Maintains and prepares accurate daily records for aquarium systems, exhibit specimens and dive related paperwork utilizing ZIMS and other record keeping services.
* Assists with specimen transports, water quality testing, quarantine, diagnosis and treatment of fish disease.
* Maintains company issued dive gear and diver areas to the standards and expectations of Shreveport Aquarium policies and protocols.
* Delivers interactive programming to guests and guest presentations involving exhibits, behind the scenes areas, and exhibit diving.
* Participates in guest relations/interactions and perform daily public presentations as needed.
* Performs required maintenance of aquarium life support systems and related equipment to ensure a consistently high standard of water quality and animal care.
* Interacts with guests, management, veterinarians, community stakeholders, and other cross-functional departments and individuals as required.
* Assists in the continual development of exhibits and animal husbandry related areas in line with the long-term goals of the company.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
* Undergraduate degree in Aquarium Science and/or a life science related field (i.e. Biology, Marine Biology, Zoology, Aquarium Science)
* Minimum two to three years' experience of aquatic animal care in a professional/public aquarium environment with demonstrated knowledge of safe animal handling practices and maintaining a safe working environment required. Experience working with a variety of marine and freshwater species of fish and invertebrates preferred.
* Open water SCUBA certification with ability to obtain advanced certifications.
Skills and Knowledge
* Proven knowledge of the maintenance and operation of aquarium life support systems including, but not limited to, sand filters, canister filters, UV sterilizers, protein skimmers, and ozone generators.
* SCUBA diving skills: underwater exhibit maintenance skills, open-water diving and animal collection skills preferred.
* Proven knowledge and experience working with a wide variety of tropical and temperate marine and freshwater specimens including, but not limited to, sharks, rays, jellies, corals, seahorses, cephalopods, and turtles.
* Knowledge and experience in the quarantine, diagnosis and treatment of fish disease.
* Strong water quality testing and record keeping skills.
* Basic knowledge and skill in aquarium exhibit set-up and development is desirable including, but not limited to LSS design and installation, exhibit collection planning, and exhibit design concepts.
* Proven communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills
* Ability and willingness to communicate effectively in public forums to aquarium guests is preferred.
* Willingness and ability to adhere to company employee guidelines (i.e. Planet Aqua Group - Shreveport Aquarium policies and guidelines).
* Ability to maintain a clean/organized work environment.
* Ability to work effectively with limited or no supervision, and maintain a work ethic supporting the aquarium's mission and goals.
* Ability to effectively follow directions, observe and remember details, and make decisions regarding animal husbandry issues.
* Ability to maintain friendly, polite, flexible, and service-oriented demeanor.
* Willingness to work outside of normal scheduled hours (i.e. weekend days, holidays, special events, after hour animal related activities or emergencies).
* Willingness to travel to and temporarily work at other company locations.
* Ability to pass a physician administered dive physical examination.
* Ability to obtain and hold a current First Aid and CPR certification.
* Ability to obtain and hold valid Louisiana Driver's License.